28 November 2011

"Slapped cheek" rash

Yet another odd childhood ailment we've recently discovered! It's called Fifth Disease for some reason, and is a human version of the Parvo virus. Luckily, it's not serious, but these later (post-contagious) stages involve a sad looking rash. Which, yes, is called "slapped check rash" because it mostly makes the cheeks red and blotchy, with more "lacey" rash on arms and legs.





And no, we didn't slap her cheeks! Luckily, she seems to be feeling ok, and nobody else in the Ward household is affected. Yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to be careful if you are in contact with pregnant women when your child has Slapped cheek. See www.slappedcheek.com for info

Allie said...

I had Fifth's Disease when I was in sixth grade! I had an itchy rash all over my arms and at first my mom thought I was allergic to something in our play room! Later the school nurse sent a notice home to all the students at my school that Fifth's Disease had been going around, so I had spread it to everybody!