08 May 2012

Literary Tea

In Resli's Project Friends (the multi-age classrooms) classes they've been working on writing their own books. We're not just talking about jotting a few things down, we're talking about real stories, typed up, printed in real books, and illustrated. Resli has been telling us about it for weeks and if you know anything about Resli, blogfans, it's the she loves books and writing and reading. So I'm sure you can imagine how exciting it was for her to celebrate their Literary Tea last week, when they finally got to share their books. 
They invited friends and family to their classrooms, where all the kids read their books to the guests. Grandma and Granddaddy were the first to hear Resli's story. 
It was about three friends who went on an adventure...

... and ran into a witch! 
(We love this illustration. They escape the witch and she's so surprised that they got away that she yells "What?!?")
I won't spoil the ending for you. But I will brag just a little. I listened to several stories, from kindergarteners, first graders and second graders. Resli's was not only the most interesting (ok, I might be a bit biased in my opinion...), but it was also the most complex, well-developed, complete story I heard. It had characters, it had dialogue, it had plot development, it even had humor thrown in. This was not your standard "I like horses. Horses are pretty." story! I was very proud of her.
Her teacher, Ms. Ashley, and the guidance counselor, Ms. Armstrong, were also very proud of her!
Great job, Resli! And great job, Glen Springs!

2 comments:

Amy S said...

I can't wait to read this book!

Anonymous said...

THANKS FOR THE PREVIEW OF AUTHOR RESL.I. THERE'S SOMETHING RARE AND WONDERFUL THERE. IT AIN'T EASY, BUT YOU HAVE TO LET HER FLY.

GRANDADICK