16 January 2012

The Great Tomato Mystery

Last weekend the weather was beautiful, so we headed over to Ring Park for some fun, exercise and picnicking. 
    

The best part of the day by far was the mysterious occurrence of the Falling Tomatoes.
Here's what happened. Resli and Lela were playing on the gym thing, while Harvey and I sat on a nearby bench. I started snacking on some grape tomatoes I had brought for lunch. I came across a sort of squishy one that I didn't want to eat, so I lobbed it over into the woods. But hey, I'm no great athlete, so it fell short and landed next to the girls. THEY FREAKED OUT and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. So I thought that was so funny I sacrificed the rest of my snack and kept throwing tomatoes. Some landed nearby, some went over their heads, and some hit them straight on. Regardless, they had no clue where they were coming from. They spent quite a long time discussing the various options (falling from the sky, someone hiding in the bushes throwing them, etc.) but couldn't figure it out. 
Eventually, after we sat down to our picnic, Harvey and I walked them through the process of elimination path to discover that it really had been me doing it all along. They thought it was funny. But Harvey and I thought it was hysterical. I don't remember the last time I laughed that hard!
Does that make me a mean, cruel parent? Maybe, but that's a risk I'm willing to take!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No, Gillian, it does not make you a mean cruel parent. That's what small children are for, AS LONG AS THE TOMATOES ARE RIPE AND SOFT.

Grandaddick